Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

the perfect is the enemy of the good

"Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien"-Voltaire

The perfect is the enemy of the good.
I have to remind myself of this concept constantly.
For me, the significance is the fallacy of all-or-none thinking.

All too often, if I can't (or think I can't) do something to the level or standard I wish for, I give up.
(darn those perfectionistic tendencies!)

Here are some things I am reminding myself of this week:

  • it's better to jog 20 minutes a day than not to jog at all
  • it's better to drive the car on one errand than to drive the car on three errands
  • it's better to say "I'm sorry, I was wrong" after I lost my temper than not to say it
  • it's better to clean the dried spaghetti sauce off the stove even if the grease stains won't come off
  • it's better to take a 15 minute walk break at work than no walk break
  • it's better to spend a little more on fancy groceries than be tempted to eat out
  • it's better to do 25 push-ups than no push-ups
  • it's better to make sure my children eat fruits and veggies at dinner even if none at lunch
  • it's better to complete an educational assignment on time than to make sure it is stellar
  • it's better to read just a few pages of a book with p'tit minou deux than not read together that day
  • it's better to put $100 extra toward the mortgage than no extra
Can you think of any examples from your life? If so, I'd like to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment