Total Pageviews

Friday, July 15, 2011

Great Goddess!

A few weeks ago, I walked over to visit a neighbor who wanted to purchase eggs. Her teenage son beckoned me back through the side yard around the garage, where she and her husband were relaxing in the backyard. Emerging through the fence, I was greeted with the sight of the most amazing garden imaginable, bursting out with flowers, berries, climbing peas and beans, a giant cherry tree, terraced beds, enormous vegetables, birdsong, winding paths, a koi pond, buzzing bees, spires of foxglove towering, a riot of colors.... It stopped me speechless in my tracks.

"I know!" laughed my neighbor. "We just say OH MY GODDESS!"

She gave me a tour, showing me the terraced beds she built herself from gathered river rocks, stone by stone, and the koi pond her son created from his childhood sandbox. This is a garden ten years in the making and clearly still evolving.

These small I-phone photos can't capture the full effect, but it gives you an idea:



















The last two shots are of my beautiful neighbor M, who (with her family) created this glorious and sacred space .

No comments:

Post a Comment